We have the solution for getting Discord up and running in no time.
Fix 1: Delete Discord files in Localappdata and Appdata
- Start by closing Discord. To do this, right-click on Taskbar and select Task Manager. Next, select Discord and click on End Task”).
- Next, click on the Windows Start Menu icon at the bottom left corner of your desktop.
- Select “Run” from the context menu.
- Enter “%appdata%” in the lower left-hand corner of the window. Click on the “Run” button to continue.
- Locate the folder “Discord” in the Windows Explorer window. Right-click the folder to delete it from the context list.
- Go back to the Start menu and load “Run” again.
- Enter ‘%localappdata% in the field, and click ‘Run.
- Locate the folder ‘Discord’ and click on it to delete it.
- Start Discord from the Discord setup file. Follow the instructions provided by the wizard to install it.
Fix 2: Discord Installation Files in Your Antivirus Software
A few antivirus programs have been known to target Discord files during installation and quarantine them. This makes Discord unable to access the files to complete the process.
The “discord_voice,” an application-specific, approximate recovery file, is one that antivirus software often flags as potentially hazardous. We need to allow files picking up and quarantining to bypass an overeager antivirus.
This process is different from one software to another, so that we will use the ever-popular and free antivirus for a concrete example.
- Right-click on the Avast icon from the system tray and select “Open Avast user Interface” from the open menu.
- Once the Avast window is open, click on “Protection” from the list of options to the left.
- To the right, click on “Virus Chest.” All quarantined files will be displayed here.
- Locate Discord files are easy to find because they begin with “discord_” in most cases.
- When hovering over files, click the three dots to select “Restore and Add exception” from the context list.
- This should be done for each file.
- Start the Discord installation process again.
We need to make Discord executable a special exception in Avast to ensure that you don’t run into any future problems. This will ensure that the installation process runs smoothly without any files being sent to quarantine by Avast Virus Chest.
- As above, open Avast.
- Click the “Menu” icon in the top-right of the Avast window. Select “Settings” from a drop-down menu.
- To the left, click the “General” section.
- Select “Exceptions” under General from the menu options to the left.
- Click “Add an Exception” to browse/type in the location of the Discord installer folder.
- Click “Add an exception.”
- Start the Discord setup executable.
Fix 3: Uninstall and Reinstall Discord
- Start by right-clicking on the Windows Start icon and selecting ‘Search’ from the drop-down menu.
- Type Control Panel in the search box and click on the first result.
- Click on the highlighted “Uninstall a Program” text below the “Programs” icon in the Control Panel.
- Click on Discord to be displayed in the program list. Next, click the “Uninstall” button.
- Once the program is uninstalled, click on the Start menu, and choose “Run’.
- Type “%appdata%” and click “Run.”
- Locate the Discord folder, and then delete it.
- Start “Run’ again, search for “%localappdata” and delete the Discord directory.
- Download the latest version of Discord here.
- Double-click the executable file you downloaded and followed the instructions to install it.